Monday 9 January 2012

236. What are some things you observed today?



Today, I woke up again, in the white-walled, empty room with one chair one a lousy bed. This was a so-called hotel, in Bodhgaya, in the corner of what seemed like nowhere, and I was furious at my mother for not finding a better place. The previous night she had explained to me how difficult it was for anyone to find a place. She had tried booking seven months in advanced, yet still was unable to find a hotel fit for my luxury. She kept telling me how lucky we were to have a shelter and a bathroom close at hand. However, I just ignored that and the day continued.

As we walked to the hotel – a much nicer hotel with proper bed s, a table and a television – where my maternal grandmother, Momola, was staying, I noticed how many people following the Buddhist faith and showed up to this tiny village for the teachings. Tibetans, Ladakhis, Bhutanese, Chinese, Americans, Russians

The plan for the day was to visit the old age home Momola had sponsored from Nepal. The first step of the four kilometer journey was a 10 minute rickshaw ride until a barrier where cars were stopped. We were then transferred onto a tempo for another 10 minute ride. Throughout the journey I saw people everywhere and what my mother said struck me, it is difficult to find a roof over one’s head, I thought. People are living so far away and yet I am still complaining.

As we got to the camp, the first thing I realized was that everyone who had registered to stay in the camps had to live in tents, similar to the circus tents. The old men and women were delighted to see my grandmother as they thanked her with tear-filled eyes. They were told to line up like a set of kindergarten children as we handed out the shawls my grandmother had bought for them.

As evening drew closer and we headed back to the hotel, I realized how grateful the people from the old age home were to be living in a tent and to be here. My grandmother was like a fairy godmother to them. She had granted their last wish, to see the Dalai Lama and attend his teachings.

I realized today that I should not complain about how easy I have life at the moment. I have whatever I need and I have no illnesses that act as a barrier towards anything I do. Therefore, I should stop complaining and live life as it comes. 

(this too is from Bodhgaya)

4 comments:

  1. Your grandmother's so nice! It's nicest when you learn life lessons indirectly, or when you least expect it. Do you plan to continue on with the work your grandmother is doing? BTW, how was Bodh Gaya without your best friend? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was an exciting day :) It's really nice to read about how and what you felt and learnt from the experience ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was actually! :D btw, achi, i don't think it could've gotten any better :p ~~~ just kidding

    ReplyDelete
  4. Live life as it comes and be happy with what you have.... good attitude. If everyone has such attitude, the world would be so much better.

    ReplyDelete