Sunday 6 November 2011

Challenge 5: Important something


28. Attach a small photograph of something important to you and explain its significance. (Stanford)

Toilet paper! This cylindrical object, made up of pieces of rectangular sheets of thin paper put together, approximately 250 meters long, having a diameter of around four centimeters, plays a huge role in my life. This global product is of help to everyone who knows how to use it.

The small, everyday things in life are usually overlooked, yet, these things seem to impact you the most. When thinking of things that are important to me, obvious things such as family and friends are written in bold letters; but as I think harder, I see toilet paper written in bolded letters as well. Toilet paper is a product that I cannot go a day without; its importance is like that of a cell phone to a businessman.  

The first time I encountered a roll of toilet paper was when I pushed a table with the roll on it, and watched it fall over and unroll itself. I was fascinated watching the paper unravel, but I was afraid one of the elders would shout at me for wasting this odd roll of paper. I was right indeed, my cousin saw it and scolded me for being carless and wasting paper. The next encounter I had followed closely. As I sat on the bathroom pot, I noticed a similar white roll on a holder which was attached to the wall. This paper was prettier, as it had dolphin prints on them. I slowly learnt the use of that paper in the bathroom and trust me, it is important.

Now I am fortunate to know how to use toilet paper and it comes in handy in the bathroom, as well as when I need to clean any mess caused by food items, to blow my nose, throw away a tasteless piece of chewed gum, while crying and numerous other reasons. The soft, velvety material comforts me as I wipe away tears, and somehow reassures me that life will keep on rolling.  

2 comments:

  1. I never thought I would say this about an essay about toilet paper: cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "somehow reassures me that life will keep on rolling." = epic hahaha :D :D i love this essay. so true btw.

    ReplyDelete