Thursday 10 November 2011

Challenge 9: Wednesday


123. How do you feel about Wednesday? (U of Chicago)

“W-E- uh-oh,” I thought to myself, trying to think of the letter that came next. As a child learning the days of the week, I despised Wednesdays. I felt it was literally the longest day of the week, due to its spelling consisting of the most letters, and I did not like big words (I still don’t). I could never really understand why majority of the people said “Wensday” but spelt it Wednesday. I even went to the extent arguing with my teacher, who replied, “some things are just the way they are.” My little problem cannot change the way “those” things are, so I guess I will just have to live with it.

Neither here nor there, Wednesday lies in the dead center of the week. My feelings about Wednesday change according to the seasons. In the summer I see a half full cup – the days feel shorter, and the sunshine comforts me as I get on with school. Time seems to fly by in the summer, and when Wednesday comes by, I rejoice at the fact that there are only two days left for the weekend. In the winter, however, the grey sky compliments my mood. The half full cup now seems half empty and I just can’t bear the thought of it being Wednesday, only the third day of the week.

The one thing that I truly like about Wednesday’s is that it is my auspicious day! This is something that I am assured will not change with the season. Being born in the year of the pig and being brought up in a Tibetan- Buddhist culture, Wednesday is assigned as my lucky day (I am not really sure how it works, but thinking back to what my teacher said, “some things are just the way they are”). Therefore if I wish to start host a party or go for an interview, I would choose to do so on a Wednesday. Since the first time I heard this, I used to feel very special as I shared this day with H.H the Dalai Lama (He was also born in the year of a pig). That fact does make Wednesday’s a lot likeable, and now that I know how to spell it, I don’t have any reason to despise it. 

1 comment: