Thursday 8 December 2011

Challenge 37: Rain


230. What do you do on a rainy day?

The nursery rhyme, “Rain, rain, go away” reflects my thoughts on rain completely. Getting up to streaks of lightning accompanied with the thunder and the pitter-patter on the roof makes everything so much harder. I can barely get myself out of bed, yet I can’t go back to sleep as the noises heard when it’s raining makes it impossible to do so. While I lie in bed, I think about how horrible walking up to school in the rain will be, and carrying an extra set of clothes always makes my bag heavier. These negative thoughts give a bad start to my day. Walking up to school with slippers on make my feet cold throughout the day, despite changing into proper shoes with a pair of socks, I manage to somehow remain cold. On these rainy week days, classrooms seem to send a cold chill down my spine and each class seems to take forever to come to an end. The grey clouds are the least bit comforting, and having that site outsider every window becomes a bore.

On a weekend, my feelings about the rain remain exactly the same. However, if it is a Saturday in particular, I let my thoughts and feelings choose what I do on a rainy day. Lying in bed for 30 more minutes does in fact change my performance throughout the day. With that extra rest time, I feel more energized throughout the day and make my day more productive. The day officially begins at 10 am when I gobble down a bowl of cereal and clean up my room; once everything is neat and tidy, I go wash up. In the clean atmosphere surrounding me, I find it much easier to finish my work, and finally I reward myself with a break time in which I go watch a movie with my friends.

However, in the morning, if I even exceed the 30 minutes of extra sleep, my whole routine changes. The extra rest makes me more lethargic and I end up staying in bed for most of the day, making it unproductive, and a waste of more than 12 hours.



2 comments: