Tuesday 20 December 2011

Challenge 49: Special Mother


206. What makes your mom or dad special?

Everybody knows the simple rule of honoring their parents as they are the ones that brought you into this world. However, how do you know why they are special? Over the years, I realized how special my mother is because of the amount of kindness and compassion she shows towards others.

If there is any one person that always thinks of the other person before themselves, it is my mother. She should get an award for that! The extent she goes to help others can get very annoying sometimes. Her health is not a hundred percent and she is very prone to getting ill, yet she doesn’t think about herself and helps others on the streets that have various illnesses. It is not only people that my mother helps, but stray dogs and cats as well! Around five years ago, she saw this dog with a huge sore on its leg with gangrene. She took it the Kathmandu Animal Center, KAT, where treatment was immediately undertaken. The dog had its leg amputated and my mother brought it straight back home, treated her with care and nourished her. Seti, the dog, spent her last few years with us and in those few years became a part of our family.

Just last night, I was reminded of my mother’s kindness. It was getting late and we had to get back to our hotel. The only way to get back was on a rickshaw, but there were none to be found. As we leisurely walked back home we saw an empty rickshaw and the man who was meant to ride it was limping beside it. Before I knew it my mother was beside that man, comforting him and listening to his dilemma. He had been beaten by the police and now could barely walk, let alone ride the rickshaw to earn his living. My mother, being who she is, put some money in his pocket for him to get medical assistance and was even willing to ride the rickshaw as he sat at the back. Tears filled her eyes as the man didn’t bat an eye towards the money as he cried in agony.

My mother is special because she is who she is. Her kindness can be compared to no other and her smile makes everyone’s day.

2 comments: